Google recently has 2 software eng. position open now. In their posting they said they want them to be fluent in Arabic to build new application in Arabic tailored to the Arab world. This move by google signal a huge commitment by google to the Arab world, and soon we will see more services from Google in Arabic and tailored to the Arab world. Google’s current Arabized offerings are: search, blogger, news, and gmail. if you know any more Arabized services by Google please mention them on a comment.
The 2 google’s job posts are:
Google Engineering Site Director (Arabic Fluent) – Middle East Region
Google is looking for a highly technical, hands-on Engineering Site Director to drive software initiatives for the Middle East/Arab World in a location(s) to be determined.
As the most senior engineer for Google in the region, the Engineering Site Director will be the face for Google’s Arabic engineering effort in the Arab World.
The Engineering Site Director will be responsible for the overall planning, execution and success of regionally focused projects (for the Middle East) that will have the potential for global impact. In
addition to leading an initially small engineering team, the Engineering Site Director will work closely with Google’s senior management team as well as local officials and Universities and
• Exceptional technical competence and accomplishment with a strong coding track record.
• Software background and deep success developing web-based applications ideally launched in the Arab market.
• Entrepreneurial drive plus demonstrated ability to achieve goals in an innovative environment.
• Relevant experience as hands-on manager of a large fast-paced dynamic engineering team.
• Solid leadership skills and success in building a strong engineering team.
• Strong project-management skills and proven history in product delivery.
• Can fit in well within an informal startup environment and quickly establish credibility with engineers.
• MS in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or PhD (a plus).
• An exceptionally strong record of academic achievement.
Arabic language fluency and familiarity with the Middle Eastern technology market.
Please note that engineering management at Google is technical, i.e., candidates are expected to have a strong track record of technical accomplishments in addition to management accomplishments. Consequently a candidate must posses a strong and broad background in most aspects of Computer Science.
Candidates will be asked technical questions during your interviews.
Google / (Arabic Fluent) Experienced Software Engineers – Middle East
The Software Engineering positions require at least 7+ years work experience, experience developing web-based applications, expertise in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis, fluency in one or more of C, C++, Java, fluency in one of more of Shell, PHP, Perl or Python, solid working knowledge of Unix, preferably Linux, SQL and MySQL are a plus. Applicants must have BA/BS in Computer Science, MS or PhD.
We are looking for engineers with exceptional programming skills, excellent algorithmic and analytical skills, and a strong aptitude for building high-performance, scalable computer systems. Our recent work encompasses a broad spectrum of computer science research areas, including:Large scale distributed systems design, Information retrieval, Natural language processing, Machine learning and data mining, Algorithms and data structures research and User interface research.